Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chris Joyner

The Moon Agreement


-The Moon and its natural resources are the common heritage of mankind.

United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs

Mother says our bodies are primarily aquatic. 70% water to be exact. This is why the tidal Moon takes hold of us: pushing, pulling, crocheting. We maladroit ballerinas disposed to the dream recitals of an orbiting godhead. Oceanography:

the study of humans falling and rising, lapping the shore but never conquering, atomic, axiomatically in flux, transient electric blue lava lamp globs. Manchurian Candidates of gravity’s government. Mother Moon, wash over me. I yield to your lunacies. Be kind. Soften your pocked skin. You are not so alone

I think afloat in the amniotic shallows of Key Biscayne, sweat beading from every pore. I am permeable, osmotic, quite possibly soluble. 70% of the Earth is ocean.
A family does submerged handstands and converses in Spanish; I hear water. Seagulls propel in contrails overhead, squawking their birdsong; I hear water. Mother Moon curls herself into a conch shell and listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment